Breakaway runs a large number of programs every year, from overnight trips to multi-week camps. Our programs are tailored to each group of youth, focusing on an activity or place they want to go. We will often seek their opinion on activities, taking requests and putting them into action where possible. This fosters a sense of ownership in campers and encourages feelings of self-worth.
Tailored to each individual group, these camps often include games, hiking, biking and canoeing.
On easy to difficult hikes campers learn valuable skills such as food preparation, survival skills and trail navigation.
For many, the first time they have ever seen snow, or made home–grown snow cones! A highlight of the year.
Central Graduation Trips
The final camp for our graduating group, an 18 day celebration of their time together and an adventure they never forget.
School Holiday Program
Term 1 and Term 3 holidays are killer with our metro-based school holiday program. Our campers make suggestions as to what kinds of activities they would like.
The final activity before Christmas and New Years – what an awesome way to finish up the year!
Breakaway Summer Experience
What a way to start the year! Epic waterslides, trips to the pool, colour games, and obstacle courses. Every year is different, but its always fantastic!
Breakfast Creek Adventure
Giant swing, day hikes and night walks are just a few things we do on this freezing fun camp.
We believe that each young person should have the chance to write their own story, regardless of the circumstances they grow up in. Through outdoor based activities and long-term relationship, we offer a chance for young people to gain self-confidence, have a place to belong and find hope in some of their darkest times.
HOPE FOR LIFE
Breakaway Youth offers young people HOPE by demonstrating that there are more positive ways to live and be.
- Breakaway Youth seeks to provide an outstanding program of intervention and challenge, bringing hope and opportunity to disadvantaged young people in Melbourne, Victoria and across Australia.
- To build long-term, consistent relationships with young people that provide care, trust and respect.
- To actively care for and guide young people through the transition from being a teen to a young adult, through creating spaces for them to belong.
- To use adventure-based activities and intentional learning spaces to build confident, skilled and resilient young people who can cope with the challenges of life.
- To operate safely and effectively, promoting the well-being of each young person and their families/carers.
- To encourage and support young people to be able to make critical life choices that will assist them in becoming responsible contributing citizens who are positively engaged in life and their community.
- To endeavour to be Christ-like in all we do, putting love into action through our words and behaviour.
- We value the fundamental right of every young person to grow up being loved and cared for by a responsible adult and we value the positive relationship between a significant adult mentor and a young person.
- We value that each and every young person should have a supportive community around them that encourages and guides them through the teenage developmental period.
- We value and model good working family relationships, including open and honest communication.
- We seek to demonstrate core Christian values through leading by example and showing respect to everyone.